Tuesday

Why do we keep playing?

What keeps us coming back to the course day after day, week after week, playing this game that drives us mad? For me, I like to keep coming back because of the constant challenge the game provides and the thrill of playing new golf courses. These things bring me back to the game time after time.

I've never played a round where I felt like I'd hit every shot solid and played the absolute best I could play. I've played rounds where I shot, 3, 4, 5 shots under par. But those rounds were never perfect. I always missed a short putt or hit a really loose drive, something. Having been a competitor in the past and played top quality golf, it is those missed shots, just as much as the great ones, that keep me coming back to the course. It's a never ending quest for perfection, but one that continues to be enjoyable.

But it's also always fun to play new courses. And that quest to play new courses...well, I guess it's not exactly a quest, it's more that I just play them because they are there. I have on the site here that I want to play the Public Top 100, but I don't make tremendous effort to play those. I'll just play them as the opportunity provides itself, but don't really intend to take long trips to the middle of Nebraska, without something else involved, in order to play them. But even the most average of courses still provide fun and enjoyment when playing them for the first time. It's simply fun taking the journey into the unknown on a new course.

Some people might have other reasons for playing golf. Competition, exercise (which is another reason, though a much lesser one, that I play), or who knows what else. But either way, people love to play the game of golf. I'm certainly one of those and I intend to continue enjoying this game for as long as I can.

1 comment:

  1. You are right golf is one of the best game.If you played at once then you never want to leave that game, Its a perfect exercise.

    ReplyDelete