Monday

PGA.com Best Links-style courses in the US

http://www.pga.com/yahoo/golf-courses/quick-nine/best-links-style-courses-in-us-quick-nine?atrack=Yahoo_2_golf-courses

From that link, we get the 'Quick 9' list of the best links-style courses in America.

The list:
9. Pebble Beach Golf Links
8. Newport National Golf Club
7. Shinnecock Hills Golf Club
6. The Ocean Course
5. Chambers Bay
4. Bandon Dunes Golf Resort
3. Erin Hills
2. Whistling Straits
1. Nags Head Golf Links

I suppose the list was meant to be all in good fun, but I have a few issues with it.

First, Pebble Beach is a "links" in name only. The turf conditions, both naturally caused and man-made, generally prevent the running style of golf seen at links courses. Even the turf type is not links turf. No, Pebble is certainly no links course, unless we are to redefine the genre.

Second, the four courses at Bandon Dunes being grouped into one entry is a travesty. I could, perhaps, see one of the courses left off the list (I think Bandon Trails is a sandy heathland course, but that is another matter) but grouping them all together is simply strange. And given some of the other entries on the list, a obvious show of ignorance.

Third, Chambers Bay and Whistling Straits are built on reclaimed land with massive earth moving done to create the courses. That alone is not a disqualifier, but does prompt a more detailed look.

Fourth, Erin Hills is located 25 miles, is more, from the shores of Lake Michigan. That is not linksland by any conventional definition.

Finally, there is Nags Head, perched at Number 1. This is simply not a links course. I've played the majority of my golf on bermuda turf and I can tell you it's not links turf. Not to mention houses...I'll stop. But I have no state pride here. More embarrassment at the general ignorance of golfers. Saddens me, really.

Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment