Tuesday

Purpose and scope of this site/project

In starting this research my purpose was to look for places that new golf courses could cut costs in design and maintenance and where existing courses could save in those same areas with some moderate repair and renovation. In dealing with irrigated and maintained rough space, my friend Garland Bayley told me about the rural courses he played in his younger days and how they had no rough irrigation at all and only had generally single row fairway irrigation. I have played these kinds of courses in my younger days as well and prior to my most recent move I was a member of a club that met this rural description. These type courses are not the focus of my research and writing since these clubs generally operate on a shoestring budget, barely having enough money to cover basic maintenance, let alone the more expensive work done by higher end clubs. My purpose is to look at the practices in place at mid to high end clubs and how they could potentially save money in renovation costs or new construction costs. In general, it is my desire and purpose to show that it is possible to both lengthen golf courses and reduce irrigated and maintained space. While certainly the property tax amount goes up with more land ownership, the amount saved in irrigation water, chemicals, and labor would more than make up for that cost. In this project, I will show how much money could be saved if clubs drastically reduced maintained rough areas, modified irrigation systems to more uniformly apply water to all irrigated spaces and different types of turf that required less water and/or less desirable water types such as gray water or salt water. Hopefully those of you reading this can gain as much from this project as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment